The entrepreneurcountry guide to blogging : Getting started
Blogging forums are seeing resurgence in fortunes, so to help you start yours entrepreneurcountry examines what the difference is between a good blog a great one and where you can get your voice out to the market.
During the 90's internet bubble blogging was a way of communicating amongst fellow blogging enthusiasts. It was a geeky festival of complaints, chit-chat and moaning as well as a place to talk about the latest tech, sports and interests for passionate individuals. Fast forward to 2011 and blogging is still the same, but society has caught up.
The growth of social networking and online personas means that we are all looking to get our opinions heard. From the pictures of your holiday, to how wonderful the stars look tonight or on how to make the perfect Crème Brule - we are all eager to broadcast our knowledge to the masses.
Blogging allows the author a chance to discuss any idea they wish but it also allows those who use the medium to become thought leaders. Here is the entrepreneurcountry guide to writing a blog for our website:
Finding the right forum for you
From Blogsphere to Blogspot and Word Press - there are a plethora of websites to choose from. The most important aspect of this decision is reward to effort. For some, designing the perfect background through Photoshop and choosing HTML colour pallets is more fun than writing the blogs themselves. For the rest, it is important to search for the solution for you. We recommend writing your first blog before you choose which site you'll upload it to. This way, when you come to testing how your new site will work and layout etc. you will not need to continuously re-write your work, even if it is a test.
The entrepreneurcountry website www.entrepreneurcountryglobal.com is a community of 30,000 UK, European and global entrepreneurs. It is a high quality platform to get your thoughts and opinion to industry leaders and thought leaders.
• Blogs which we feature on the EC website are always agreed with and attributed to the author. We include a biography and photo of the author at the end of each blog along with links to their website and social media.
• Images always help an article, so if you have any relevant images please send them to use.
• The best blogs are selected for circulation in our weekly digest and monthly betterbusiness e-zine.
What do I write on?
This is often the million dollar question "Where do I start"? Typically the answer to this question is -write about your passions - this way it will come through in the tone of your blog. This point is very important for engaging with your users and a great starting point. Before starting your blog, think carefully about the following questions:
1) What do I want to get from my blog?
2) What am I passionate / knowledgeable about?
3) Why would the user want to read my blog?
1) As busy business professionals or aspiring entrepreneurs, time is a precious commodity. It is vital that you define your objectives before starting this process or it will end up becoming obsolete. Objectives can range from - I want to showcase my interests, I want to promote my business or I want to promote my knowledge.
2) Utilising your knowledge or passions is the best way of communicating to your audience. If this question is holding you back a couple of great solutions are:
• Writing about your day, week, month or year - this allows your users to get to know you and will help you with your biography page too.
• Pretend you are on 'Mastermind' - what would your specialist subject be?
3) If you have answered the first two questions thoroughly then this one should answer itself. Remember, we are all hungry for knowledge and opinions as well as entertainment. The success of your blog will be determined by your users, so always invite them to give you feedback.
Finally, how do I get followers and grow my audience?
Exposure is very easy to come by through online mediums. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and even here on entrepreneurcountry there are ways for you to broadcast your blog. We will look into Social Media strategies in the upcoming weeks but give them a go in the mean time.
User articles on entrepreneurcountry
The new website allows you to submit articles and blogs direct to EC once you are logged into the site. Each time you article is uploaded onto the site it is logged in you user profile and is published onto the 'User Articles' section within the 'Community' tab. You will be able to invite people to view your profile which will not only showcase your articles but also the discussions you have been in, comments you have left across the site and polls you have voted in.
To write a blog on EC, hover over the community tab, move your cursor down to the 'Profile' tab then simply move down the list onto 'Submit an Article'.
You will then see (if logged in) a word / notepad comment box in the screen. Here you will be able to upload your blog.
Once you have uploaded your content it will be sent to the EC editorial team to approve. Once approved the article will appear in the User Article Section of EC.
Remember, before submitting your blog to highlight the fact that you have your own blog site as this will help you grow your community.