Ten Key Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs
My new book, "From Vision to Exit- The Entrepreneur's Guide to Building and Selling a Business" is available in all good bookshops and online now.
Here are my ten key tips for aspiring entrepreneurs:
1. Work on your vision and strategy. If you can’t be passionate, choose another path.
2. Create a clear roadmap or plan. Work out what you will do and how. Don’t set off in the wrong direction.
3. Consider your resource requirements. What will you need in terms of infrastructure, people and finance? Don’t run out of cash!
4. Develop your purpose and values. Why do you exist? What difference will you make and to who?
5. Never underestimate the power of the status quo. Inertia means that it can take far longer (and much more cash) to achieve your vision and goals.
6. Consider meaning as well as money. Work towards a “triple bottom line”, valuing people, planet & profit.
7. Protect your valuable IP. Don’t let someone else take advantage of your innovation, investment and hard work.
8. Think international. Maximise cross-border trading opportunities and take your place in the global business village.
9. Embrace change and be open, flexible and transparent in your dealings with stakeholders- including customers, suppliers, staff and investors.
10. Work hard, get up early and never ever give up!
“Guy Rigby’s book is a lip-smacking smorgasbord upon which to feast. Easily digestible, never dry, stuffed with sage anecdotes and wit, it can be devoured it in one full fat sitting, or you can pick and mix from the menu, depending on your appetite. The tasty top tips at the end of each chapter should become the staple diet of anyone wanting to run a healthy, growing business. It deserves a Michelin star. Bravo.”
Tristram Mayhew, Founder and Chief Gorilla, Go Ape!